Nov 25, 2008

MomDot Blog Party - Day 10


It's DAY TEN at the MomDot Blog Party! Today is brought to you by Organic Blankees (Natural fiber blankets - even couch size!), Huddy Buddy (Sweet tees for the kiddos), and BabyLegs (I LOVE THESE!!! Leg/arm warmers in awesome designs!)

Yeah yeah, I know...I skipped Day 9. I never really got any weird gifts and I've been lucky enough to never have to regift anything (except when we would do Yankee swaps, where regifting is Standard Operating Procedure...Billy the Big Mouth Bass has made many an appearance). So I'm starting up again with today's question:

Day 10: Do you decorate for the Holidays? Do you have a themed Christmas tree? Share pics! Do you think there is such a thing as OVER decorating?

I mentioned my unhealthy addiction to Christmas in my first blog party post. So asking me if I decorate for Christmas is like asking Martha Stewart if she can do something useful in the kitchen. Duh. By next week this time, the Christmas tree will be in its rightful place, and I will be plotting the ideal placement for the miles of lights, garland and other foofery that adorns my house this time of year.

Since we live in an apartment, I haven't yet graduated to the level of lawn displays and outdoor lights, but I make the most of what I've got. Every room has a touch of Christmas to it. I have a village, a manger, and a trio of Santa-head mugs that belonged to my mom. Every Christmas card we get finds a home along the archway between our living and dining room. And everyone - yes, EVERYONE - gets a santa hat.

We definitely don't have a themed tree - someday I would love to do that, but I have so many ideas for trees I'd need a LOT more room to put them up!!! Our decorations range from homemade ornaments from my and my husband's elementary school days, to commemorative ornaments (anniversaries, baby's first, yearly keepsakes), to goofy stuff that only has meaning to us (we have a slave Leia on the tree. 'Nuff said.) I like it that way though - looking at our tree is really a window into our family and our personalities!

Do I think decorating can go overboard? Of course I do. If you can't walk through your yard without tripping over a plastic glowing statue....if your house can be positively identified from space...if tiptoeing through your living room threatens to cause an avalanche of figurines, stuffies, and/or village houses...if your house is so decorated that the color red is actually burned into your retinas...if you are finding fake snow in your underwear....

Other than that, you're good! :)



3 comments:

Tena said...

your post made me giggle!
I think you and I have the same views when it comes to over decorating!!
LOL

Unknown said...

Funny!

Erin Tales said...

Your tree sounds fun!

 
Photobucket