Mar 17, 2009

Happy St Patty's Day!


Happy St Patrick's Day! As someone who married into a DEEPLY Irish-American family, I am fully prepared to spend the day doting over shamrocks and looking for little green men (and this time NOT in Area 51..)

Though we won't be eating Corned Beef and Cabbage today, I'm pretty sure that will be on the menu Sunday when we're all gathered at my in-law's house. I actually don't mind it, I have several friends who are also green-to-the-bone and who regularly host "traditional" Irish parties complete with that salty hunk of meat and LOTS of Guinness :)

I did come across an interesting tidbit, for those of us who find this holiday charmingly silly...

This Wikipedia entry mentions that the History Channel found that corned beef is NOT (here's where I duck and cover) a traditional Irish dish....it was adopted by Irish immigrants living in New York in the 1800's who could not afford or find their traditional Irish bacon meat. They were introduced to Corned beef as a cheaper alternative by their Jewish neighbors.

That's right, folks....when you don your green bowler and bowtie, make sure you've got your yarmulke on underneath :)



Add to Technorati Favorites
Stumble It!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy St. Patty's Day to you!

 
Photobucket